December 01, 2020
Looking to make a delicious meal but don't want to put in too much effort? You're in luck. Five ingredients are all it takes to produce a delectable, fuss-free masterpiece. From lemon-infused roast chicken and tomato hatch chile to simple scones and frosted cookies, you can make it all quickly and easily thanks to the creatives in the California food community. Whether you can already chop onions like a pro or need to take online cooking classes to hone your skills, you can create new family-favorite meals by following these simple five-ingredient recipes.
Easy Soup Recipes With Few Ingredients
As the temperatures drop, soothing soups become a staple on every dinner table. If you're looking for a savory and easy soup recipe, look no further than the tomato hatch chile soup from A Cozy Kitchen, a fun food and lifestyle blog founded in Los Angeles. This dish will warm you up in no time.
Tomato Hatch Chile Soup
3 ½ pounds Roma tomatoes, halved
2 hatch chiles, halved and ends trimmed with seeds removed
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
¼ yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves
1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
2. Place Roma tomatoes and hatch chiles on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil.
3. Put in the oven and roast for roughly one hour, or until tomatoes and chiles are juicy and slightly withered.
4. Let the tomatoes and chiles cool for a while. Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil. When warm, add chopped onion and garlic cloves. Cook until soft, for about five minutes.
5. Transfer cooked onion and garlic to a blender. Add roasted tomatoes and one of the hatch chiles. (Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to do this in batches.)
6. Pulse the ingredients until smooth, typically about one minute.
7. Pour the soup mixture into a medium pot over medium-low heat. Add about ¼ cup of water to the blender, and swish it around to get the entirety of the mixture off the sides of the blender.
8. Pour the mixture into the pot with the soup. Let it simmer for 20 minutes.
9. Add salt to taste, then serve the soup mixture with your favorite grilled cheese.
Easy Chicken Breast Recipe With Few Ingredients
California Olive Ranch is one of the best olive oil producers in the Golden State and knows how to make its liquid gold shine in recipes. For a delectable lemon-zest chicken—an amazing five-ingredient meal—with high-quality extra virgin olive oil (of course), California Olive Ranch has you covered. Pair this delicious chicken dish with a festive holiday drink and impress everyone around the table.
Lemony Roast Chicken
1 (3 ½-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
½ cup California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
½ cup fresh rosemary leaves
10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 lemon, peel removed and pulp chopped
1. In a large bowl, mix chicken with California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, lemon, and salt and pepper.
2. Place chicken in fridge and marinate for at least an hour.
3. Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. When ready, place marinated chicken in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Don’t forget to add the remaining marinade on top.
4. Roast chicken for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked, making sure to turn once to cook it evenly on both sides.
Easy Dessert Recipe With Few Ingredients
A Side of Sweet is a San Francisco lifestyle blog where recipes, DIY projects, travel, fitness tips, and design concepts come together. There's a wide array of simple recipes that any level of cook can accomplish, so whether you're looking for a wicked dessert or a quick dinner, you’ll discover what you need—don't miss out on these 10-minute scones, though.
10-Minute Light and Moist Scones
Servings: 8 scones
2 cups white flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
¾ cup whole milk
Fruit of your choice from the best California U-pick farms (optional)
Chocolate chips from a California chocolate maker (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place flour, sugar, baking powder, and butter in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, combine the ingredients.
3. Once mixture resembles coarse oatmeal, add milk and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
4. Optional: Fold in fruit or chocolate of your choice.
5. Place dough onto a floured surface and make one thick round ball. Then, cut into eight wedges and put them on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 18 to 23 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside.
Easy Cookie Recipe With Few Ingredients
From easy fall desserts to festive Christmas cookies, no celebration is complete without something sweet. Since we're all about easy cookie recipes with few ingredients right now, we love this recipe by Meggan Hill, the mastermind behind Culinary Hill. While her frosted cookies have slightly more than five ingredients, you likely already have most (if not all) of them on hand already. Happy baking!
Easy Frosted Cookie Recipe
Servings: 24 cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅓ cup milk
Frosting of your choice
1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, mix butter and sugar together until they become light and creamy. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract.
3. Lower the mixer speed, and slowly add dry ingredients and milk until combined.
4. Place dough on a floured surface. Shape dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap.
4. Let dough chill in the fridge for about two hours. (If you're making the dough in advance, you can opt to store it in the fridge for up to two days).
5. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. On a floured surface, roll chilled dough to about ⅛-inch thickness.
7. Cut dough into shapes of your choice using a cookie cutter, and place on prepared baking sheet.
8. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly brown. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely before decorating with your choice of store-bought frosting.
Hungry for more? Read on to incorporate these healthy holiday recipes into this season’s festivities.
You may also like
After scouring the California food-truck landscape for unique eats, we found some staples to try no matter where you end …...Read more
Raised Real is reimagining what baby food can be. These nutritious, ready-to-make meals taste so good that even adults will …...Read more
Do your part in promoting diversity and equality by supporting Black-owned businesses in California. Here are a few of our …...Read more
Read our honest coffee review of the Lake Tahoe specialty coffee roaster that everyone is talking about....Read more