Share Your California Story
We want to hear from you!
California.com is a place for anyone with a love for California to share. We are on a mission to inspire California locals and visitors alike to discover and celebrate the unique attributes of the Golden State. We welcome all readers to submit their own stories and spread “California love.” You don’t need to be a professional writer—if you have a great story to share or an unforgettable experience you’d like to write about, we want to hear from you.
We’ve showcased an Arizona transplant’s first week as a Californian, a San Francisco resident’s favorite female-owned businesses in the city, an insider’s guide to Chico, tips for navigating mental health during COVID-19, and a list of romantic places to propose in California (to name a few). Niche or broad, poignant or happy, funny or serious: If you have a piece to share, please get in touch—we’re always seeking new and diverse voices.
Join our storytelling community for the opportunity to share more about this beautiful state. Once you become a California.com contributor, you will also receive a personal profile page with links to your articles.
Interested in contributing to California.com? Here’s what you need to know.
Every piece submitted to California.com should be authentic, compelling, and exclusive to California.com—meaning it hasn’t been published anywhere else. It’s also important to note that we do not accept any stories that mention alcohol, drugs, or any other vices.
Kinds of Stories We Love
- Local neighborhood guides and city guides
- Stories on specific destinations, experiences, and services
- Thematic and experience roundups (e.g. “the best of…”, things to do, etc.)
- Stories on seasonal events
- Trend reports and roundups
Tone and Voice
- We are genuine. We speak in a conversational, familiar, approachable, and warm way.
- We value storytelling. While clarity is important, we appreciate a good metaphor and a narrative that transports readers, inspiring them to visit a destination, try a restaurant, or trust a professional.
- Our tone is generally informal, with a touch of elegance and a focus on conveying quality. Avoid using slang and jargon, and remember that our readers are well educated and experienced travelers.
- Use the active voice: Avoid the passive voice to engage the audience.
- Avoid slang and jargon: Write in plain English. Avoid strings of long-winded sentences or overly technical descriptions.
- Write positively: Avoid using negative language, criticizing competitors, or discounting companies/destinations to highlight others. Remember—our goal is to make the world a better place and show off the best of the best.
Ready to Submit Your Story?
Please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, and one of our team members will be in touch with you. In your email, please include the following:
- Your full name
- A clear, informative headline for your story
- A headshot and a brief bio that outlines your background, relevant expertise, and interests
- Your social media handles, if you’d like to share
We look forward to hearing from you!