WRITTEN BY Alejandra Saragoza
Alejandra is the managing editor of California.com. She's a California native based in the Bay Area and enjoys writing about all things food and travel related. Her work can also be seen in Diablo, T…See full bio
About once per second, someone in the United States checks in to a hospital, according to U.S. News & World Report. Whenever you need a surgical procedure or special care, it is crucial to find a hospital that can meet your specific needs and protect you from any potential complications. With that in mind, the esteemed U.S. News evaluated more than 4,500 hospitals in 16 specialties (such as cancer and urology) and 9 conditions and procedures (including heart bypass and hip replacement surgery), taking into account various criteria such as death rates and patient safety. The results culminated in the publication’s 2018-19 rankings of the top hospitals in America.
U.S. News also ranked the medical institutions by region. In California, San Francisco’s UCSF Medical Center was named the state’s best hospital, ranking nationally in 15 adult specialties and 10 pediatric specialties. The institution also ranked sixth in the nation (preceded by Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota; Cleveland Clinic in Ohio; John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore; Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston; and University of Michigan Hospitals).
San Francisco’s UCSF Medical Center was named the state’s best hospital.
Three other hospitals in the Golden State made the national top 10 list, too: UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, which ranked in 14 adult and 8 pediatric specialties; Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, which ranked in 12 adult specialties; and Stanford Health Care in Palo Alto, which also ranked in 12 adult specialties.
Here’s the complete list of the best hospitals in California, based on the U.S. News rankings:
1. UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
2. UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
3. Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
4. Stanford Health Care–Stanford Hospital, Palo Alto
5. UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento
6. Scripps La Jolla Hospitals, La Jolla
7. Keck Hospital of USC, Los Angeles
8. Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach
9. UC San Diego Health–Jacobs Medical Center, San Diego
10. Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena
11. UC Irvine Medical Center, Orange
12. John Muir Health–Concord Medical Center, Concord
13. Mission Hospital, Mission Viejo
14. John Muir Health–Walnut Creek Medical Center, Walnut Creek
15. MemorialCare Long Beach Medical Center, Long Beach
Discover the California-made bicycles that you'll want to ride everywhere, from the rolling hills of the Bay to the beaches …...Read more
Before you head out on your next backpacking or camping trip, find out what you should know about thriving in …...Read more