© 2020 California.com All Rights Reserved
Now that you’ve compiled your holiday gift list (your version of Santa’s “naughty” and “nice” lists), one fundamental question arises: how to purchase the perfect gift for everyone? The holiday shopping season can be overwhelming—there are just too many options for the same item, some people are hard to please, and others simply don’t want a gift. Nobody wants to get stressed out because of last-minute gifts. Instead, follow our gift guide to make your holiday shopping experience smoother. From tips and tricks to awesome California products that everyone will love, we’re here to make your life easier and keep the holiday spirit alive.
There isn’t a single person in the world who wants to give a gift that’s only going to collect dust in the corner of a room. And in turn, nobody wants to receive a present they don’t like. The holiday season is about being grateful for what we have and appreciating what’s to come. When the word “present” comes to mind, we usually think of a beautifully wrapped mug we probably got on our birthday or a Christmas sweater with matching socks our grandma knitted. But a gift doesn’t necessarily have to be a physical object. There are many alternative options to the traditional gift exchange, and the best ones are always personalized.
Giving people presents is more than just handing them something for the holidays—gifts are about communicating and conveying a message to others through tangible items. When shopping for presents, think about what you want to say to the people you're getting gifts for. Understand what they currently need in their lives and determine the one thing they desire most. Channel this knowledge into creating a personalized holiday gift for them.
There are three things to keep in mind when shopping for gifts—quality, practicality, and the element of surprise. You want to get your loved ones something that’ll last; something they wouldn’t get for themselves. The gift should be something that comes in handy and not an object that’ll sit in a corner until it’s regifted. Last but not least, the element of surprise is always an exciting factor. Sure, you could ask them for a wishlist to purchase exactly what they want, but the gift becomes somewhat predictable and you’ll leave an impression that you haven’t put much thought into it. Use your creativity to do a little detective work and figure out exactly what they want without ruining the surprise.
First, make a list of things the person is interested in. Don’t rush when you’re making these notes; take your time to think about what truly defines the person. Only then will you be able to come up with an awesome holiday gift list. Combine a few of the things you wrote down, and voila—you have a personalized California-made present that’s going to make the receiver ecstatic.
If you’re looking for a non-traditional gift-giving guide, we have you covered, too. Special California experiences are just as meaningful as physical objects. Your mother has always wanted to ride in a hot-air balloon, your child has dreamed of visiting Legoland, your spouse has always wished to go on a helicopter tour. These are unforgettable experiences to give someone who doesn’t need another tangible item in the house.
As for what not to give, there are a few things to take into consideration. Souvenirs are nice to give when you've just returned from a recent vacation, but they’re not appropriate presents for the holidays. Gift cards are a quick solution for last-minute emergencies, but they scream: “I didn’t know what to get you so I took the easy way out” (unless they specifically ask for it). If you’re on the receiving end, follow gift etiquette when receiving gifts you don't exactly love.
Still struggling to decide on a present for the females in your life? Here’s a holiday gift guide for her that’ll inspire you to pick out the perfect present.
1. A portable Bluetooth speaker for beach days
2. Essential oil diffuser with her favorite scents
3. A customized birthstone necklace
4. A spa retreat for two
5. An indoor organic herb gardening kit
6. A wooden bathtub tray for self-care days
7. A personal tea blend with her favorite flavors
8. An annual pass to California's national parks and sites
9. A wooden jewelry box to protect her cherished accessories
10. A small personal concrete fireplace to roast marshmallows anywhere
11. A skydiving experience
12. A temperature-control mug to keep her morning coffee warm
13. A cozy throw blanket to snuggle in
14. A book by one of California’s famous female authors
15. A turntable to listen to all of her favorite songs
16. A wooden cheese board to show off her charcuterie skills
17. A musical instrument she’s always wanted to master along with classes
18. A timeless leather tote for the one who’s always on the go
19. A hot-air balloon ride to romantically see the city from above
20. A sentimental photo book of all the fun times you've had together
21. A classic Polaroid to capture new memories
Fitness & Wellness
Event Services & Venues
Home & Garden
Travel & Accommodation
Does your business rank among the best in California?
Learn more about our selection criteria and vetting process.
Buying presents for men isn’t exactly easy. Simplify your shopping with this holiday gift guide for him and support your favorite California brand while you’re at it.
1. A make-your-own hot sauce kit to spice up his life
2. A sleep-aid device to keep his mind stress-free
3. An escape room or clothing box subscription
4. A brand-new air fryer to keep up with the culinary trends
5. A zip-lining adventure for two
6. An indoor garden kit for a greener home
7. A leather AirPods case so he never loses his AirPods
8. A private stadium tour of his favorite arena
9. A portable photo printer to have physical copies of your memories together
10. A classic briefcase for a professional look
11. A flying lesson for an unforgettable adventure
12. A copy of Snoop Dogg’s From Crook to Cook
13. An indoor electric grill
14. A poster set of his favorite movies
15. A Morse code bracelet with a special message
16. Noise-canceling headphones
17. A hair clipper so he’s always ready for an interview
18. A smart waffle maker so he can make his favorite breakfast
19. A 100 movies scratch-off poster to watch classic films
20. A color-changing planet lamp that’s out of this world
21. A personalized wooden watch storage case
Most kids will ask for a gift they’ll play with for 10 minutes before quickly shifting their attention to another toy. From board games to art supplies, this holiday gift guide for kids includes all the things they actually want.
1. A keyboard play mat so they recreate the iconic scene from Big
2. A kids’ sewing kit to make awesome DIY projects
3. A cute camping playset so they experience the great outdoors in the safety of your backyard
4. Soft toys from their favorite animated movies
5. A mini chess set to help them learn life-long strategies
6. A monthly book subscription so they can read their favorite fairy tales
7. A mini bowling set to create their very own bowling alley in the hallway
8. A set of walkie talkies for better communication
9. A design-your-own bracelet craft set to make friendship bracelets
10. A Scrabble Junior game to help them with spelling
11. An awesome Harry Potter wand with a matching cloak
12. A Stranger Things-themed Lego set
13. A 3D play carpet for an imaginative and fun time
14. An ice-cream set so they run their own scoop shop
15. A Battleship strategy game that’ll hold their attention for a while
Still not sure what to get your friends and family for Christmas? Find them the perfect gift based on their …...Read more
Winter season is nearly upon us, which means it's time to revamp your closet. Here's how to build the best …...Read more
It's officially time for holiday shopping, and Black Friday is almost here. Here's where to find the best deals on …...Read more
The party doesn't start 'til the bride walks in—wearing the dress of her dreams. Brides, check out the top 2021 …...Read more